ARCADE: Connected and Automated Driving in Europe
ARCADE (Aligning Research & Innovation for Connected and Automated Driving in Europe) aims to promote collaboration between various organisations within Europe relating to automated driving, also known as Connected, Cooperative and Automated Driving (CAD).
Automated driving offers a range of benefits. So the European Commission is giving development of this high priority. In the first instance, this will lead to a steep drop in the number of road fatalities, emissions, dependence on fossil fuels and traffic congestion. It will also encourage more efficient use of space, and transport will become more accessible.
Moreover, it stimulates further innovation. The development of a knowledge base, as envisaged by this project, is crucial to making automated driving a reality in tomorrow's world. In view of climate change, it would seem sensible to give more attention to automated driving.
The stakeholders of the project are, by and large, the European Commission, EU member states and the automotive industry, although research institutes could also be of great value. The project has an international focus and aims to bring these parties together. In that way, they can create a consensus about, for instance legislation, research methods and knowledge in order to promote the development of self-driving cars.
In the context of this project, Rijkswaterstaat is sitting at the same table as the most important European players in this field. This offers an insight into the strategies and challenges of those parties and gives us the opportunity of putting forward our ideas. We would welcome the prospective positive effects on society becoming reality, and ARCADE offers us the opportunity to exercise some influence.
- AustriaTech - gesellschaft des bundes fur technologiepolitische massnahmen GmbH (ATE)
- Association Europeenne des Fournisseurs Automobiles CLEPA aisbl (CLEPA)
- Bayerische Motoren Werke aktiengesellschaft (BMW)
- Centro Ricerche Fiat S.C.p.A. (CRF)
- Chalmers Tekniska Hoegskola AB (SAFER)
- Delphi Deutschland GmbH (Delphi)
- Deutsche Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
- European Road Transport Telematics Implementation Coordination Organisation-Intelligent Transport Systems & Services Europe (ERT)
- Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)
- Fondation Partenarial Mov'eoTec (VED)
- Hoofdkantoor Dienst Wegverkeer (RDW)
- IDIADA Automotive Technology SA (IDIADA)
- Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS)
- IRU Projects ASBL
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor toegepast-natuurwetenschappelijk onderzoek (TNO)
- Renault SAS (REN)
- Robert Bosch GmbH (Bosch)
- Rheinisch-Westfälischen Technischen Hochschule Aachen (IKA)
- Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy (VTT)
- Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds (ITS Leeds)
- Volvo Technology AB (Volvo)