SAFE-10-T: ensuring high safety performance of infastructure
The Safety of Transport Infrastructure on the TEN-T Network project (SAFE-10-T) aims to create a safety framework to ensure high safety performance.
While in the meantime allowing longer lifecycles for critical infrastructure across the road, rail and inland waterway modes.
The objective of this research is to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms behind tunnel deformation
Insight regarding the future safety of tunnels and bridges
The project provides knowledge for determining present and future safety levels of tunnels/bridges and enables Rijkswaterstaat to make more economical and better substantiated decisions in the future with regard to renovating old tunnels/bridges to extend their lifespan. Immersed tunnels are a popular engineering method in the Netherlands because of the many waterways the roadways there must cross. As a result, almost thirty tunnels have been built in the Netherlands to date using this technique. Tunnel construction flourished most notably in the nineteen sixties and seventies.
Given the design life of these tunnels, many of them will be due for extensive renovation in the near future. A number of tunnels have sizable leaks caused by differential settlement of the underground. The objective of this research is to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms behind tunnel deformation so as to control them in the future. Critical infrastructure such as bridges, tunnels and earthworks are no longer considered as inert objects, but as intelligent, self-learning objects. The SAFE-10-T project will provide a means of virtually eradicating sudden failures.
- Gavin and Doherty Geosolutions (IE)
- Roughan & O’Donovan (IE)
- Technische Universtät Berlin (DE)
- Delft University of Technology (NL)
- Network Rail Infrastructure LTD (UK)
- Virtus IT (UK)
- Infrastructure Management Consultants (DE)
- University of Zagreb, Faculty of Civil Engineering (HR)
- HZ Infrastruktura (HR)
- Infra Plan Consulting (HR)
- German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DE)
- Institute of International Sociology of Gorizia (ISIG) (IT)
- Forum of European National Highway Research Laboratories (BE)